Article provided by: twincitiesarthurmurray.com
Dancing is one of the best whole-body workouts you can do that’s fun. A 30-minute dance session with burn just as many calories as a job on the treadmill but is more fun and engaging. If you’re looking for a new way to break a sweat but want something a little more fun and exciting, then try out salsa dancing in Minneapolis at the Arthur Murray Dance Center.
What is salsa dancing?
Salsa is the combination of Latin musical genres that came from Cuba in the early 1900s. Early on, the music for salsa dancing combined the rhythms from the Cuban Son and Afro-Cuban rumba. This pairing later merged with American jazz and taken to New York City by Cuban musicians. The dance itself features a combination of the Afro-Cuban Son, cha-cha-cha, Mambo, Rumba, and the Danzón. The most basic version of the salsa dance and rhythm involves taking three steps for every four beats of music. Whether you are new to this type of dance or have been salsa dancing for years, join our salsa dancing in Minneapolis and enjoy being surrounded by fellow dancers.
Different Styles of Salsa Dancing
When it comes to salsa dancing, there are a wide variety of styles you can learn. The different styles include:
- Cumbia (Columbia style salsa), which is usually taught and passed down by friends and family.
- Cuban style, which is most similar to the original salsa dance, but is more male or leader dominated and showy.
- The Miami style is more complicated and features intricate and pretzel-like moves.
- Casino Rueda style, or group salsa dance that originated in Havana, Cuba in the 1960s.
- A. style, which is a flashier version of the New York style salsa dance in which the dancers do dips, flips, drops, and tricks.
- New York style salsa, or commonly known as the Mambo, is a very linear dance with turn patterns that evolve from cross body lead variations.
- Puerto Rican style, which is opposite the New York style, and dancers tend to break away from their partners to execute fast and complicated solo footwork moves.
At Arthur Murray Dance Centers, we teach you the necessary yet very latest steps to this social dance when you sign up for salsa dancing in Minneapolis.
Why is salsa dancing so popular?
Salsa dancing is a very social and fun dance that can be found across many Latin and American cultures. The dance is done for pure entertainment and can either be done solo, with a partner or in a group. When you sign up for salsa dancing in Minneapolis at the Arthur Murray Dance Center, you’ll make new connections and friends that all share a common interest. Connecting with others that share common hobbies or interests is why people choose to learn salsa dancing.
If you’re looking for a way to burn calories, make new friends, and have fun doing both, then learn all about salsa dancing in Minneapolis at the Arthur Murray Dance Center.Salsa Dancing Minneapolis